Common Gambling Superstitions
A recent study revealed that a whopping 80% of gamblers believe casino superstitions to be true and/or have their own good luck ritual or charm. From playing lucky numbers, to carrying a lucky rabbit’s foot, crossing your fingers or wearing your lucky socks, there are tons of ways to exercise superstition on the casino floor. Here are a few of the most commonly practiced casino superstitions and rituals associated with either number, table etiquette or color.
Numbers & Colors: Playing the right number is the name of the game when it comes to gambling, and the color can help too!
- Unlucky Number 13 – Going anywhere near the number 13 is as unlucky as superstitions come. Not only is it frowned upon to play 13, but gamblers are so superstitious about it’s destructive powers that hotels on the Las Vegas strip were constructed with no 13th floor.
- The $50 Bill – As legend has it, years ago mobsters would stuff a $50 bill into the jacket pockets of their victims before burying them, giving the bank note a bad aura. Today, casinos generally do not even carry $50 bills, since many gamblers refuse to accept them.
- Prosperous Number 8 – According to Chinese culture, the number eight is lucky since it’s Chinese pronunciation is very similar to the pronunciation for the Chinese word prosperity.
- Deadly Number 4 – Along the same lines, the number 4 is considered unlucky since it’s Chinese pronunciation sounds very much like the Chinese word for death.
- Wearing Red – Chinese superstitions say that the color red is good luck, which is why many big time Chinese gamblers wear red underwear for added playing power.
Table Etiquette: According to gamblers, the way you play makes all the difference when it comes to getting lucky and winning big.
- Counting – Keep your money in your pocket when you’re seated at a table. Counting your winnings during gameplay is distasteful and brings bad luck.
- Sit Straight & Silent – Gamblers believe that crossing your legs during gameplay will “cross out your good luck,” while annoyances like whistling and singing are punished by the gambling gods.
- Lady Luck – When playing a dice game, let a lovely lady blow on your dice before you roll for instant good luck.
Hands to Yourself – Touching the arm or shoulder of any player while they’re playing brings bad luck.
No matter what superstitions your believe to be true, if it works for you we support it!
At Casinos by M&M we’re committed to providing an authentic casino feel, superstitions and all! Our friendly dealers are here to help, offering step by step instruction for whatever games you choose. To learn more about how to book a casino party, call 1-800-HAVE-A-BLAST. We promise to dust each table with a bit of luck before they arrive!
Don’t forget to connect with us on Facebook, Google+ and Twitter.