Top 5 Gambling States in the US
Gambling is just one of the many great American pastimes, and boy do we have the statistics to prove it! The National Gambling Impact Study Commission (NGISC) has suggested that Americans spend more on gambling than on recorded music, theme parks, video games, spectator sports and movie tickets combined. In fact, they estimated a whopping $910 billion is spent on gambling country-wide per year. However, some US states are bigger gamblers than others, and we’ve brought you the top five grossing gambling states to confirm it!
- Indiana – Home to thirteen casinos, Indiana grosses an approximate $2.3 billion dollar gaming revenue per year. Each of their casinos — be it a riverboat or land-based location — charge a $3 admission tax per person, which brings in about $806.6 million alone.
- Louisiana – Bringing in about $2.4 billion each year, this state is known for its eighteen casinos, but most notably for its racetracks. In fact, the American Gaming Association reported that 18% of the revenue generated at their racetrack casinos is paid directly to the horsemen themselves.
- New Jersey – While four of its twelve casinos closed in the past year, New Jersey’s Atlantic City is still holding its spot at number three on our list, averaging $2.87 billion in gaming revenue annually. Just a step behind the iconic Vegas strip, New Jersey was the second state to legalize casinos in 1976, opening its first shortly after in 1978.
- Pennsylvania – First legalized in 2004, casino gambling is still pretty new to PA who opened its first casino in 2007. From traditional to racetrack casinos, Pennsylvania horse races, slots and table games bring in about $3.1 billion in revenue between its 11 casinos.
- Nevada – As if you expected anything less! Nevada holds down the number one spot thanks to the legendary Las Vegas strip, home to 265 casinos pulling a whopping $11.1 billion dollar revenue per year. In just 2012 alone, the American Gaming Association reported 52.3 million visitors!
While there are many wonderful casinos out there nationwide, there’s nothing quite like a night spent pressing your luck from the comfort of your own home or a local neighborhood venue. No matter what the occasion is — wedding, birthday, bar/bat mitzvah, corporate event, fundraiser, etc. — bringing real life casino action to your guests will make your party a memorable one.
To learn more about the services and casino games that Casinos by M&M can provide, click through our website or call 1-800-HAVE-A-BLAST, and don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Google+ and Twitter for the latest in gaming tips and trends!