Playing poker has become such a staple in the entertainment industry that it’s even made its way onto the big screen! Not only has the game been featured or mentioned in many movies, but there have been several films specifically centered around the poker and casino culture as a whole. With the holidays approaching, you may have some time to kick back, relax and revisit some of your favorite Netflix classics.
If you need help choosing a flick, look no further! We’ve searched high and low to bring you the top 5 poker movies of all time, and here they are:
5. The Grand – Get ready to laugh until it hurts with this 2007 improvisational comedy. Watch as some of your favorite comedic figures interact with some of the pros and in a completely unscripted poker tournament at the Golden Nugget.
4. The Cincinnati Kid – Everyone loves a good underdog story, and this 1965 classic certainly delivers. Watch as an up-and-coming poker player goes up against a well-established professional. Can you guess how the tables will turn?
3. Maverick – This comedic western brings the talent of Mel Gibson, the grace of Jodie Foster and the 1950s television show which shares its name to life on the big screen. Watch as these established con artists try to trick their way through the poker system.
2. Rounders – Mike McDermott, played by Matt Damon, was a reformed and recovering gambler — but not for long! When he finds his long time friend caught up in a whirlwind of debt and loan shark dues his only option is to return to the high stakes poker tables!
1. Casino Royale – Who doesn’t enjoy a good old fashioned James Bond flick? We sure do, especially when it involves high stakes poker and deadly weapons. Talk about action!
Has all this poker talk and poker movie watching got you in the mood to have a poker party of your own? If so, Casinos by M&M is here to help, providing only the most authentic tables and most knowledgeable dealers in the industry.
To learn how we can make your next poker night or casino party a success, click here to visit us on the web or call 1-800-HAVE-A-BLAST to speak with one of our owners directly today!
Do you love playing poker, but wish you could win a bit more than you lose? Here are a few simple tips to help you improve your poker skills and take home the pot!
Tip #1: Don’t be afraid to fold. Playing every hand isn’t always best. In fact, it’s a common misconception that the more hands you play the better your odds. This is false and in actuality, failing to fold on bad hands will actually decrease your odds and make you lose more.
Tip #2: Keep your composure. It’s easy to toss back a few too many while sitting around the table with some buddies for a poker night, or even whilst playing in a casino, but that extra beer or martini can cost you. Poker is a real “thinking game” which means your head must be clear at all times!
Tip #3: Hold the bluffs. While bluffing can be a very effective technique, it’s important to know when to bluff and when to fold. In order to successfully bluff, the situation must be perfect and you must be able to read your opponents perfectly.
Tip #4: Don’t let emotions get in the way. Playing poker when you’re mad, sad or in an overall bad mood can be detrimental to your money pile. Letting your emotions get the best of you can cause you to make bad or rash judgement calls.
Tip #5: Pay attention! Make sure you’re keeping track of the cards that have been dealt and the moves that your opponents are making. Even after you fold, it’s important to continue to pay attention in order to understand and read your opponents for upcoming hands.
Do you have any great poker advice for fellow players? We’d love to hear all about it on our Facebook page!
When it comes to playing poker practice makes perfect, so why not practice with your friends and family at a casino party or poker night thrown by Casinos by M&M? We’ve got a wide variety of poker variations with authentic tables to match.
To learn more about our available games and services, click here or call 1-800-HAVE-A-BLAST.